Tuesday, September 6, 2011

This was going to be a DIY

On just in case you didn't know how to use fabric dyes, but it didn't really turn out the way I had expected it to.
So now it's just a post on like tips and tricks
 Oh no! This dress is ugly!
When you're out thrifting around or just going through your rarely worn things remember, you can always mix it up into something new.
I got this dress for $2 because it was easy and simple but the color was ugly, so I figured I would just dye it and call it a day.
And I wanted a green dress, I thought.
When working with dye I like to-
except for the boiling of the water, do everything outside
use salt, whether the package says so or not, usually 1/4 cup added to the water while it's boiling
use the same pot over and over, to avoid complaints from other people using it
stir with a whisk, you don't have to, but I do

OK so this is where I started to realize maybe this wouldn't turn out like I had hoped.
Most packaged at home dyes will tell you how much water to use, depending on how much I'm dying with that color I usually cut that amount in half because I like a richer darker color.
This time I'd say I cut it down to about 1/3
Let the water come to a full roaring boil, it helps the color and fabric mesh better
you want to keep it moving pretty consistently for 10-15 mins and then let it sit for about 45
yes the longer you leave it in the darker it will get, to a certain point,
I left mine in over night, I sort of forgot about it quite honestly

It turned out to be the greenest thing I've ever seen.
It's like I just discovered the color, I mean you might not get it so much from these photos but trust me, you've never seen something so so so green  before
And then I just thought to myself, "fear not Megan, you'll just dye it again" (ok my internal monologue is not in third, wait second?, person I promise)
This is important to know and you need to learn it if you don't already know
FABRIC WILL ONLY HOLD SO MUCH DYE, AFTER THAT IT WILL JUST REJECT
I once had a dress that had turned a horrible pink color so I just said screw it and attempted to dye it black. I left it in the dye for two days, it's still that horrible color.
Fabric is tricky and temperamental and much like an elephant, it never forgets.
I turned this dress, which really wasn't that ugly to begin with. this color and now I have to live with it.

I suppose it's not the worst and I threw a 1/4 cup of bleach into the wash with it, so that helped a bit.

Also, rinse out all the excess color before you wash it, I do this just to ease the minds of my parents, but you should do it anyways.
Wash on a Hot to Cold cycle.
Hot to really get it all out, cold to seal it in and keep it bright.
Wash all your clothes on a cold cycle all the time if you can, except when they've just been thrifted.
I also usually let fresh dyed things hang to dry, but I don't know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment