Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A slightly better post

source
I don't know if you've ever seen the 1962 film Gypsy about real life burlesque queen Gypsy Rose Lee, but you really should. It's all about her life and her crazy stage mother, played by Rosalind Russell, and her desperate attempts at making her and her baby sister a star. When her baby sister and the rest of the act run off, and her new troop of children just aren't bringing in the cash working as "the act to keep the cops away" at a burlesque theater she pushes, Lousie played by the beautiful Natalie Wood, into becoming the burlesque star Gypsy Rose Lee. Now I do love a good musical so I'm a little biased but this is really a great film, and it's on TCM all the time, so it's pretty easy to catch. I just read the bio of real life Gypsy and the film is surprisingly accurate, but most bio films from that ear are, way more so than they are today. Idk, I just really love this movie and think it's super good and want to get people to watch it as much as I can.
Real life Gypsy Rose Lee
source
Natalie Wood as Gypsy
source
i didn't mean for this to have so many pictures, I just think she's beautiful and I love that whole burlesque look you know. There's a burlesque school in Seattle and if we ever get stationed there (the only place we try harder for in Georgia) I'm signing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment